Practice Areas & Concentrations
- Representation of more than 1,000 mortgage borrowers as special bankruptcy counsel for the delivery of non-substantive consolidation opinion letters
- Representation of debtors, creditors, and trustees in business chapter 11 and chapter 7 bankruptcy cases
- Representation of companies and other entities in workouts
- Representation of Federal Court Receivers
- 2003 to Present: Shareholder of Cavazos, Hendricks, Poirot & Smitham, P.C.
- 1997 to 2003: Associate with Cavazos, Hendricks & Poirot, P.C.
- 1990 to 1997: Shareholder of Law Offices of Craig Smitham, P.C. (Office in Buena Vista, Chaffee County, Colorado)
- Areas of Practice: real estate, business associations, Special District representation, wills, trusts, probate, and representation of children’s rights as guardian ad litem.
- 1988 to 1989: Chairman of the Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer and President of American Bank of the Mid-Cities, N.A., Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas
- 1987 to 1989: Shareholder of Law Offices of Craig Smitham, P.C. (Office in Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas)
- Areas of Practice: banking, real estate, mortgage lending, loan documentation, and general business.
- 1985 to 1986: Staff Counsel with Corridor Broadcasting Corporation, Dallas, Texas
- 1983 to 1985: Associate with Brice & Barron, Dallas, Texas
- Areas of Practice: real estate, mortgage lending, and business associations.
- Summers, 1980 to 1982 Internship Program, Vantage Companies/Assistant Investment Analyst, Vantage Income Properties, Inc., Dallas, Texas
Education & Awards
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1983
- B.B.A. (Accounting), Texas A&M University, 1980
- AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-present
- Certificate of Professionalism by Colorado Bar Association, July, 1991
- Award of Special Recognition by Heart of the Rockies Bar Association, December, 1996
- State Bar of Texas, 1983
- State Bar of Colorado, 1990 (currently inactive)
- U.S. District Court – Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Federal Equity Receivers - Associate Member
- State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- Member of Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- Co-Chairman of Admissions and Membership Committee, 2002-2003
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association, 1990-1997
- Representative to Board of Governors, 1993-1995
- Heart of the Rockies Bar Association, 1990-1996